Sunday, May 21, 2023

The Best Day


Today
is a positive word.
Some people like to say, “Today is the first day of the rest of your life.” In one of my favorite musicals, ANNIE, “Tomorrow” is projected as a day of hope, but I prefer today.

Each morning is a new day full of God’s mercies. Lamentations 3:23+ fascinates me. God’s mercy is great; each day comes with NEW mercies! I have found that to mean I can pour out my heart to Him and He will provide what I need for THAT day.

Years ago, friends gave me a plaque that I have hung wherever I live:

YESTERDAY

He Helped Me

TODAY

He Did The Same

How Long Will This Continue

FOREVER

Praise His Name

As a caregiver, first for my father, then for my husband, I got up daily with renewed hope. God provided strength, wisdom, and compassion along with each day’s sunrise. I’ve been reviewing journal entries from my husband’s care. It’s comforting to see that God’s mercies were not just with me, but with him as well. 

God’s mercies are part of His steadfast love and faithfulness. What a fascinating study THAT has been. I’ve completed reading the Book of Psalms and steadfast love and faithfulness almost always appear in tandem.

“Great Is Thy Faithfulness” is a well-beloved hymn with a lovely refrain of “morning by morning new mercies I see.” If you’re curious to read it, several lyric sources exist on the internet. I typed in my search bar lyrics great is thy faithfulness and it popped right up.

Faithfulness you can count on. Steadfast is sure, never-ending love. Today is a good day to be thankful for God’s mercies.

Awareness of these two attributes of God makes it easy to follow the directives in Psalm 100:4: Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise; be thankful unto Him and bless His name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.