Sunday, May 7, 2023

Legacy


People can become quite concerned about leaving a legacy.
I remember years ago, a wealthy businessman wondered if he should give his children a good sum while he still lived, or should he simply leave it in his will.

When asked if he thought about his legacy, Dr. Charles Stanley replied, “I think our life is a legacy, not a building.” When asked what he wanted people to say about him when he was gone, his thoughtful reply was this: “He always said, ‘Trust God and leave the consequences to Him,’ and from what we have observed, that’s what he did.”

I’m grateful for the legacy left by my parents. They did a great job of raising three children on a minister’s salary. Leaving a financial legacy was never an option, but they left something much greater. You can’t put a price on honest living, whether before God or before people. They’re gone, but their example lives on.

People without children may think there’s no point in worrying about a legacy, but in my mind, Mother Teresa negates that theory. Her life legacy resulted in many more taking up her mission to help the poorest of the poor.

You can find a large number of her quotes on the internet. We all know she blessed people worldwide, so this quote stands out: “Never worry about numbers. Help one person at a time and always start with the person nearest you.”

Each legacy is very personal. Perhaps I’ll leave some writing which will encourage others after I’m gone. And I do hope my appreciation of God’s Word as a guideline for life continues to strike a chord of faith in those who have known me.

Your legacy is important, too. Rich or poor, you’ll be leaving a life example, whether you do it purposefully, or not. So, why wait? Take a little time to think about how that is shaping up now.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.