Sunday, January 8, 2023

How to Improve Your Life This Year


Even without formal resolutions, most people hope their life in the new year will be different.
If you could see their thoughts, they might hope for different and better.

We can’t help but notice differences in people. You may have heard descriptions like this, or even said them yourself:  1) They’ve got a good handle on life, or 2) They seem to fly off the handle when faced with a challenge.

Over the years, I chose a few mentors. In sharing their approach to life with me, more than one mentioned reading the Book of Proverbs regularly.

One person I admired said his daily Bible reading always included one chapter of Proverbs, no matter what. I followed his example on and off over the years. With thirty-one chapters, it’s easy to match one chapter a day to your calendar.

Wisdom is available in God’s Word. My husband gifted me with Dr. David Jeremiah’s Study Bible* when it first came out. It is filled with a variety of help, including valuable information in the introduction to each book.

I like his contrast between wisdom and foolishness:

       Wisdom is described as the positive outcome (when) knowledge, discernment, and understanding are combined**

·      Foolishness is the result of ignorance, lack of discernment, and limited insight in favor of one’s personal preference or opinion**

The Book of Proverbs promises a payoff if you desire to be wiseThe first seven verses of the opening chapter provide reasons to read it

Instruction for prudent behavior is mentioned, along with the acquisition of knowledge and discretion, guidance, and a healthy fear, or respect, for the Lord which is deemed the beginning of knowledge.

I want to be wise. How about you? I'm back on my one chapter of Proverbs a day. Feel free to join me.

*The Jeremiah Study Bible, Dr. David Jeremiah, Worthy Publishing, 2013, available where books are sold.

**Proverbs, Introduction, p. 807, P4. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.