Sunday, July 24, 2022

Healthy Retrospection

 




Introspection
is a word heard more often than retrospection
. The slang term used to be “naval gazing,” because introspection can become very self-absorbing without producing many answers.

Retro has to do with things that have already happened. Retrospection can be a good thing unless it simply becomes nostalgia, or a desire to live in the past.

Healthy retrospection is grounded in the present, with the past giving hope for the future.

I often enjoy retrospection with a purpose. Psalm 100:4 directs us to enter God’s Presence with thanksgiving, then move closer in with praise.

Engaging in retrospection expands my thankfulness. I learned to depend on God’s word (Lamentations 3:22-26) during a couple of stressful times in my life: (1) While fighting Stage 3 Breast Cancer in 2007, and (2) while being a caregiver, twice, after retirement in 2009. These events come easily to mind.

But I’m happy to say God is still keeping His word morning-by-morning and day-after-day. Those phrases remind me of a favorite hymn: *Great Is Thy Faithfulness. The **refrain is this:

 Great is Thy faithfulness; Great is Thy faithfulness

Morning by morning new mercies I see

All I have needed Thy hand hath provided

Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me

 Although this hymn was published in 1923, it was basically unknown until popularized by George Beverly Shea and the choirs at Billy Graham Crusades. The words were a poem written by Thomas O. Chisholm, set to music by Wm. M. Runyan.

Quiet yourself for a few moments and look back on your life. Do you need some "thankful ideas?" Try these:

Lessons Learned

Problems Solved

Relationships Healed

Physical or Emotional Needs Met

Spiritual Growth

Prayers Answered

A positive attitude is a healthy mindset. I'm thankful we don’t have to wait for one yearly official “Thanksgiving Day.”

Look forward to sunrise - - - it's a new day - - - filled with God’s new mercies. Engage in some retrospection, give thanks, then move forward in faith for that day.

*Great Is Thy Faithfulness; Then Sings My Soul, Robt. J. Morgan, 2003; Life Outreach Edition, p. 284-285.

**Refrain; Melodies of Praise; Gospel Publishing House, Springfield, MO; 1957, p. 216.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.