Sunday, October 3, 2021

Movies and Memories


I think it’s a blessing to have selective memories. Movies are just one way we are reminded of things.

Tonight, for me, it’s a movie where I remember the character, but not the title. Let me explain.

I was moved to tears as the female character was diagnosed with breast cancer. It wasn’t just her medical report, however, it was how she had to walk her journey alone.

I can tell you from experience that it’s a shock to be told, “You have cancer that has spread and you need treatment right away.”

Being told I had Stage Three breast cancer meant I was facing a huge health challenge. But it became even more challenging when, due to an insurance mix-up, I had no access to immediate treatment.

By the time I got an appointment with an oncologist, I also had Inflammatory Breast Cancer (IBC) which is very painful. I was told having both a lump and IBC is not common.

It’s not unusual to count life events before or after pivotal years. For me, that became 2007. I had eight sessions of chemo, a modified radical mastectomy, removal of eighteen lymph nodes, plus nearly seven weeks of radiation.

It’s not hard to thank God for making my treatments work. I’m thankful for His answers to prayer for excellent doctors and technicians.

God’s presence was very real and His word trustworthy. He was the Good Shepherd who walked with me through the valley of the shadow of death (Psalm 23:4).

I experienced His nearness to the brokenhearted (Psalm 34:18). I also experienced hope and joy as I put my trust in Him (Psalm 33:20-22).

Fourteen years have brought many challenges and changes. What has not changed is my source of hope. I still read His word and pray personal prayers on an everyday basis.

Facing tough times? This hope can be yours, too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.