Sunday, October 17, 2021

Modern Anger


Anger seems to always result in negative spillover. I don’t think there’s a person alive who has never experienced it. Sometimes we see it coming and other times it takes us by surprise.

While cleaning files the other day, I found a paper where I had written about my father’s great anger toward me over several issues he had never mentioned before. In fact, he never mentioned them again, but I still wonder what brought that on?

Anger’s bottom line is emotional displeasure. Someone has mistreated us, misinterpreted our intentions, or opposed us in some way. Our first thought is retaliation.

Social media has done many good things. I can’t imagine our world without it, but I’m blown away by how it brings out the worst in so many people.

I’ve seen for myself some of the rabid responses to the most non-controversial postings. I always wonder why do people respond so harshly? Would they say that face-to-face?  I have my doubts.

Is it possible to have peace on social media? I read the other day that we are to forgive even those who have a difference, a grievance, or a complaint against us (Colossians 3:13 AMP).   

My first thought was are you kidding me? Forgiveness seems more important for those who have cheated, lied, or physically hurt me or my family. Then I had another thought.

In middle school, our choir sang, “Let There Be Peace on Earth and Let It Begin With Me.” That message stuck with me.

Can one person really create peace? Try this: Think of one media post as one penny, one hundred pennies add up to a dollar. Spread those pennies out over the world and you have a whole lot of dollars doing good.

Have you been accosted unfairly on social media? Ask yourself, “Is this negative or cutting comment really worth my response?"

Since modern anger seems easily played out in words, perhaps your lack of words (no response) could be a source of peace, even personal peace.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.