Sunday, February 14, 2021

The Worry Wobble


Have you heard of a devotional book titled
*Jesus Calling?  I actually found a copy while shopping at a thrift store.

Sarah Young’s book has been truly inspirational. It’s small and the devotionals are not long, but their impact is doubled with scripture references at the bottom. 

I wrote down a quote that intrigued me. Only six little challenging words: **“Trust me and refuse to worry.” Remember her title? Jesus Calling

One of the scriptures that day was Hebrews 10:23: Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful. 

In the margin I wrote wobble with worry---faith brings balance. I could also have said faith brings stability. 


What came to mind was a favorite childhood toy. It was a nice big top with a stemmed knob to push up and down. Pretty soon I would let go and the top would be on its way. 

I always knew it would lose momentum and start to wobble. No problem. I just pumped the knob and watched it spin off again. 

That top was a reminder of my life. Try as I might, not all of life’s challenges can be solved by me. I often need a power greater than myself to make a difference. That’s where the Jesus Calling quote comes in: Trust me and refuse to worry.   

The Apostle James had some good advice in James 1:6-8. He said to go ahead and ask God for help, but then don’t doubt Him. He pictured the doubter like a wave of the sea tossed by the wind. 

James declared that kind of wobbling won’t receive anything from God. Being double-minded causes instability. 


Six little words present two choices
: (1) Trust me, and (2) refuse to worry. Give your life the momentum of faith in God, then hang in there and avoid the worry wobble. 


*Jesus Calling, Sarah Young, Thomas Nelson Publishers, Nashville, 2004.

**Quote, Jesus Calling, September 22, page 277, top line. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.