Sunday, January 31, 2021

Whatever Happened to MYOB?


Social media is a convenient source of communication. I have friends who enjoy using Facebook and Twitter, while I have stuck with emails and texts.

When I hear some of the negative responses to media postings, I'm amazed. I always think for civilized people we’re not very civil.        

Civil is not just a term for municipal government. It can also be used in the sense of being polite, courteous, or refined.

I recently saw a posting of Candace Cameron Burre’s family Christmas photo. That was followed by several postings about the vitriolic comments made by complete strangers. I thought whatever happened to MYOB?

When I was growing up, I was told more than once,Mind Your Own Business!” I needed that. It was part of learning how to be civil---learning when my opinion was to be given and when it was not.


I have friends who are heavily into social media. From what I hear, Ms. Burre’s family experience is not unusual. My view is that we have a faceless communication tool that people use to say things they would never say face-to-face.

Malice seems to be rampant in responses to even the simplest of postings. Words are full of spite, animosity, and viciousness. There's not a hint of kindness, benevolence, or goodness of any kind.

Slander is another term that describes some responses. These are words that vilify, revile, attack or belittle what has been said.  

Remember the question how do you eat an elephant? The answer: One bite at a time. The elephant in the room is the hurtful negativity of social media. Can it be eliminated? I doubt it. Can it be improved? I think so.

Consider Solomon’s wise advice: Joy comes in giving an apt reply, and a timely word is so good (Proverbs 15:23 NIV).  

The Message puts it this way: Congenial conversation---what a pleasure! The right word at the right time---beautiful!

Your words matter. Happy posting!

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.