Sunday, December 13, 2020

Increase Your Christmas Joy

 

Christmas comes one day a year. When I was growing up, the big draw was two weeks out of school. Where I lived, that definitely meant lots of snow.

It also meant participation in the annual Sunday School program. Recitations and songs were followed by goodie bags for the kids. That was one Christmas tradition I was glad to outgrow---hard (unwrapped) Christmas candy sold in bulk!

I was an adult before I learned of a tradition called Advent. Advent means coming. My more liturgical friends had been celebrating Christmas with devotionals and candles starting the first Sunday after Thanksgiving.

I actually felt like I’d been cheated of something special; however, as an adult, I could change my ways.

Have you seen an Advent wreath? It’s a circle holding four candles around the outside edge, one for each Sunday of Advent. In the center is the Jesus candle. Traditional colors are four pink and one purple; however, any color can be used.

Still being in a non-liturgical church, I introduced Advent in Wednesday night services. The response was very positive. I chose four white candles for the outside, and a larger red one for the Jesus candle in the middle. I circled the candles with evergreens.

Each week celebrated a one-word theme. Words like Love or Hope or Light. Our ceremony had four simple steps: (1) A member read a scripture, (2) lit the candle of the week, (3) the congregation sang a song, and (4) a member closed with a devotional prayer.

Suggestions were available for those who wished to continue the theme in their daily devotionals.

Advent is personal and does not require a group setting. At home, I no longer light the candles but remain loyal to devotionals. 

This year I’m reading Why the Nativity? by Dr. David Jeremiah (Tyndale House Publ., 2006). It’s from my collection of Christmas books, many of which I have given away over the years.

I mentioned Advent to my sister-in-law this year. She asked what it was so I sent her a devotional. She said, “I found an Advent wreath at Hobby Lobby and we’re enjoying Advent devotionals for the first time ever.”

It’s never too late to increase your Christmas joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.