Monday, December 28, 2020

Gifts That Keep on Giving: Happy New Year


No matter how you look at it, gifts are a fun part of the Christmas season. To me, a gift represents love, whether I give it or receive it. It says, “I was thinking of you. I thought you might enjoy this (item).”

Christmas celebrates Jesus’ birthday, and in His honor, many charitable works are done. After all, He taught his disciples that feeding the hungry, clothing those in need, visiting the sick, and those in prison were all ways of honoring Him, though they might not realize it (Matthew 25:32-46).

I always enjoy reading about the wise men in Matthew chapter two. Their gifts were expensive but there was a gift given to us that cost even more. Not only was it one-of-a-kind, but it was also free. It could never be earned or purchased.

Let’s do a little Q and A: This gift is explained in John 3:16-21:

Who gave this gift? God.

Why did He give it? He loved the world He created, and sin had corrupted it.

What was the gift? A Redeemer, His one and only Son.

Why did He give it? To save the world, not condemn it.

Who can receive it? Anyone who chooses to believe in the name of His Son, Jesus.

Gift-giving does not end with Christmas. 

Jesus is God’s gift that keeps on giving. One of His special gifts is peace.

He said, “My peace I give to you; not as the world gives, do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid” (John 14:27).

I haven’t seen any long-lasting peace coming from our world, have you? Not one-on-one, and certainly not in any public setting.

I still say, “Happy New Year” because of Jesus’ offer of personal peace.

Do you want it? 

OK, just believe, ask, receive . . . and . . . remember to say, “Thank you, Jesus.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.