Sunday, June 28, 2020

Three Important Personal Things


Provision: Green Pastures and Still Water
A couple of weeks ago my blog was titled Quiet Restoration. I shared the relaxing picture of sheep being led to rest in green pastures and beside quiet waters (Psalm 23:2). It was such a great contrast to rushing waterfalls and fields full of weeds.

In writing Quiet Restoration, it didn't feel complete until I included the start of verse 3: He restores my soul.

The next morning, my waking thought was He restores my soul! I've never really thought much about that. I'd like to learn more. So, I set out on a quest: My soul . . . what is it?

Joyce Meyer, in her Everyday Life Bible, made a comment that really stuck with me: "We are a spirit, we have a soul, and we live in a body."*

Her commentary on Psalm 23 got my attention with this line: "The soul is comprised of the mind, the will, and the emotions."** Think about it. Would you be a whole person if one of these was missing?
Water Can Restore Green to Dry Places

The phrase He restores my soul began to take meaningful shape for me. 

Being married to a guy who loved car shows, I was quite familiar with restoration. Some owners included pictures of their awesome autos as "junkers" before they were restored.

What I found interesting was my own need for restoration. I'm usually an "up" person, so I couldn't miss the fact that this week I was noticeably "down."

Three things were clamoring for attention: 1) Negative feelings, 2) negative thoughts, and 3) my personal decision on how to handle them.

The choice was mine. God did not create us as robots, and He cares about every part of us . . . body, soul, and spirit.

After the Storm, A Rainbow of Hope
Are you feeling out of sorts, confused, or disappointed by life? Do you feel a need for restoration . .  a way to get back to the positive side of things?

That was me. I read Psalm 23 and asked the LORD to restore my soul. I later realized my "downers" were gone.

He'll do it for you, too. Just ask.

*The Everyday Life Bible (Amplified Version), Joyce Meyer, Faith Words, NY, NY, 1 Thessalonians 5:23, Life Point, p. 1984.

**The Everyday Life Bible (as above), Psalm 23, God Restores and Leads, p. 835. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.