Sunday, June 14, 2020

Quiet Restoration


Still Waters Look Inviting
Dad and I used to joke around with an old cliche. I'd say, "Still waters run deep." He'd laugh and say, "Cold, too."

We had some great discussions about spirituality, and I'm thankful for that heritage.

My version of still water has changed over the years. As a teenager, I enjoyed meditating on some Bible verses before going to sleep.

I still do that, but I also have found time to enjoy deeper waters with a study Bible in the morning. Study Bibles* have a variety of help to make things clearer.

Fog Cannot Upset Calm Waters
There have been times when I wandered away from still waters and got lost in the bubbling shallow waters of rocky times.

But as I stayed near the river, I found my way back to the spiritually refreshing quiet waters.

Psalm 23 is a good example. It starts out beautifully: The Lord is my Shepherd . . . He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul.

One summer we visited Niagara Falls. It was amazing to walk under the rushing waters, but so impossible to relax. Deafening noise and wet slippery walkways threatened personal safety.

I prefer quiet waters. In the heart of our town, there's a small creek I enjoy checking out after a rain.

That's when it's easiest to enjoy the reflection of blue sky and white clouds. I may be looking down, but through the reflection, I'm also looking up.

That's the way it is when I read my Bible. I read by looking down. But while reflecting on what I've read, I'm looking up.

The Peace of Green Pastures & Still Waters
Life has a way of wearing us down. We need a quiet restoration regularly. Why wait? Start today.

Sit yourself down by the quiet waters of Psalm 23. Read and reflect on what the Good Shepherd can do for you. 




*Two of my long-time favorite study Bibles: Life Application Study Bible (NLT), Tyndale House; Spirit-Filled Life Study Bible for Students (NKJV), Thomas Nelson Publishers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.