Sunday, April 5, 2020

The Learning Curve---COVID-19: Part Two


THE LEARNING CURVE---COVID-19: Part Two


The Corona Virus is still with us. Have you been practicing social distancing? Carefully washing your hands? Using hand sanitizer? Wearing a mask? Using gloves?

Jesus mentioned the importance of loving your neighbor as yourself (Luke 10:25-37). Consider this: Your personal effort to avoid spreading the virus is an act of love toward your neighbor. That would be anyone within your social space.

Personal Quiet Time is Important
There is one area, however, where we are on our own: Our Thoughts---whether positive or negative.

I totally agree with the wisdom of Proverbs 17:22: A cheerful heart is good medicine. In fact, I’m always on the lookout for good humor. From my emails lately, I’d say I’m not alone.

Considering how stores had a run on toilet paper, this item struck me funny: I used to spin that toilet paper like I was on Wheel of Fortune. Now I turn it like I’m cracking a safe.

This one hit close to home: I need to practice social distancing from my refrigerator.

Someone sent colorful cartoons of Bible stories with a modern slant. Picture this: Jesus is holding up a fish and loaf of bread. 

Someone shouts, “I can’t eat that. I’m vegan.” Someone else shouts, “Was that fish tested for mercury?” And, of course, someone has to ask, “Is that gluten free?”

But thank God for animals. I had some laugh-out-loud times watching pictures or videos of animals in action.

My third learning curve: Enjoy Good Humor and Share It Whenever You Can.

Now here’s another important issue. Would people close to you describe you as contented, or contentious?
Are You Content or Contentious?

From what I’ve seen, contented people are positively and creatively engaged with daily challenges.

For example, some people are trying new recipes. A couple of friends said they’re really into Spring cleaning. Others are into outdoor walks, reading, puzzles, or projects.

Contentious people, on the other hand, seem to be hostile and cross. They lack flexibility in a world turned upside down. In their negative self-centeredness, they think others have a responsibility to make them happy. But pity the person who tries.

A worthy goal is to be able to say, as did the Apostle Paul, “I have learned how to be content (satisfied to the point where I am not disturbed or disquieted) in whatever state I am” (Philippians 4:11, AMP).  

My fourth learning curve: Work on Developing the Character Trait of Contentment.

(Next Week, End of Series: The Learning Curve---COVID-19: Part Three)



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.