Sunday, December 1, 2019

Avoid the Fence of Offense


AVOID the FENCE of OFFENSE


Along with Settlements Came Fences
Have you heard the old western song Don’t Fence Me In? Being fenced in by others is one thing, but fencing ourselves in is a different story.

Offenses are solid fence-building materials. They are easily produced through words or actions.

What is an offense? It can be something that makes us feel hurt or angry, insulted or resentful. It causes us to want to retaliate, or even cut that person off from our relationship.

Since none of us are perfect, we will either give offense or take offense. Jesus said, “It is impossible that no offenses should come” (Luke 17:1, NKJV).

Barred Windows Separate People
Solomon pictured it this way: “A brother offended is harder to win than a strong city, and contentions are like the bars of a castle” (Proverbs 18:19, NKJV). Think of such bars as quarrelsome or unfriendly attitudes and you see how easily they separate people.

We have been forewarned that offenses will come, so how should we react when they do?

I’m not always aware of offending people. I do, however, seem aware of when people offend me. That’s when I ask myself, “Will I take offense at this?”

When, upon careful consideration, I choose to forgive or let it go, peace comes quickly.

I've Forgiven Forty-Six Times Already
I think Peter asked the next best question: “How often should I forgive one who sins against me? Seven times?”

Jesus didn’t let him off the hook that easily. He replied, “Not seven times, but up to seventy times seven” (Matthew 18:21-22, NKJV).

Seventy times seven equals four hundred ninety. In our computer age we might actually be able to keep track of such forgiveness, however, I do not see that self-centered action as a source of peace.

Fences have their place, but not in relationships. That’s why I remind myself not to build a fence of offense.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.