Sunday, May 5, 2019

Potato Bake and Birthday Bash

POTATO BAKE and BIRTHDAY BASH

Celebrate Your Day

My family was not big on birthday celebrations. I'd say you don't miss what you don't know, but one birthday got my full attention.

At age sixty-four I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I spent most of that year recovering from surgery, chemo, and radiation. When my sixty-fifth birthday rolled around, I thought it was a good time to celebrate my recovery.

I collaborated with a friend, and this is what we decided to do:
Baked Potato & Toppings Buffet

1) Invite the ladies of the church and ask them to wear their brightest colors
2) Have a baked potato and toppings buffet
3) Instead of gifts, ask them to bring donations for the local food bank
4) Decorate with balloons and photos of me at younger ages
5) Serve cake and ice cream for dessert
6) Have some entertainment and door prizes

The birthday bash was a cooperative effort. One lady rode with me to keep the helium-filled balloons under control. A husband/wife team prepared the potato buffet. A trio of ladies kindly agreed to sing some songs, and another lady handled the door prizes. 
Non-Perishable Items Were Needed

As food items were brought, it was fun to watch the up-front display grow. The church custodian was surprised at the load in his small pickup. After the delivery, he hurried back to share the food bank's positive response.

This was a win-win-win birthday. Not only is it still a happy memory for me, it was enjoyed by those who participated and it helped meet a basic human need.

You've probably heard the phrase, love your neighbor as yourself. James 2:8 calls it "the royal law." Jesus was once asked, "Who is my neighbor?" 

He replied with the story of The Good Samaritan (Luke 10:29-37). Read it and you'll learn your neighbor is anyone in need.


I helped with a potato bake and birthday bash. You may have a better idea. Just do it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.