Sunday, April 21, 2019

Kaleidoscopes

KALEIDOSCOPES


Kaleidoscopes have always fascinated me. Intricate designs are created as bits of colored glass reflect on mirrors inside a tube.
A Colorful Design

In childhood, my kaleidoscope was made of cheap cardboard. I could peek in one end and twist the other to create some colorful magic.

As a grown up, I've been amazed at kaleidoscopes so large they have a handle for turning the glass chips around. These beautiful wood and glass combinations are considered works of art.

Big or small, however, the principle is the same. Colorful patterns constantly change while being shifted in a confined space.

Sometimes I think our global world is a kaleidoscope. Travel a bit and you'll see varied combinations of scenery, people, architecture and art.
A Colorful Variation

As an armchair traveler, my current kaleidoscope happens to be on television. House Hunters International offers me a peek into endless combinations of the categories I've just mentioned. 

It's interesting to see people make sacrifices to move to another country. Some plan to start a new job, others want their family to experience a different culture. Higher education draws some, and others are motivated by love.

Week after week I watch people adjust to a kaleidoscope of local languages, food, housing and customs. Two things stand out: (1) Their open non-judgmental attitudes, and (2) their desire to know locals as friends.

Less Color but Beautiful

No matter where we live, those attitudes could serve all of us well. Let's face it. These open-minded international house hunters make judgments unclouded by prejudice.

We don't need to travel the world to apply good judgment, however, Consider the wisdom of Solomon who said, "He who belittles and despises his neighbor lacks sense, but a man of understanding keeps silent" (Proverbs 11:12 Amplified).

Because I was raised without prejudice, I've enjoyed a kaleidoscope of relationships. I didn't even have to travel the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.