Sunday, April 1, 2018

The JOY of EASTER


The JOY of EASTER


I was sharing with a friend the other day how my mother gave us kids Easter baskets, though dad did not fully approve. Being a minister, he wanted to be sure we celebrated Easter for the right spiritual reasons.

Mom helped us color hard-boiled eggs. These were placed in our baskets on top of shredded green artificial grass. She would include a chocolate egg and other candy. The fun came in exploring our baskets before we left for church.

There we heard the Bible story of The Resurrection of Jesus. No one mentioned Easter baskets. That was just a fun thing we did at home. Well . . . mostly fun. Some of the fun disappeared when mom served boiled eggs in different ways the next few days.

Time Changes Things


A lot of churches and communities now do Easter Egg Hunts. Some have grassy areas to hide the eggs. Others have to get creative as they hide huge amounts of eggs indoors. Either way, it’s fun for the kids.

I’ve been in churches that requested donations of plastic eggs and wrapped candy. I’ve contributed because I know children look forward to hunting Easter eggs. And, if they come, they will hear the Biblical story of Jesus and His Resurrection.

The Cross and the Garden


We acknowledge the hard part of Jesus' story on Good Friday. He suffered on the cross. I don’t like to think about that, but I rejoice in His words, “It is finished.” His sacrifice for the forgiveness of sin complete, He bowed His head and gave up His spirit (John 19:30). 

There was a garden near the crucifixion site. Jesus’ body was placed in a tomb there (John 19:38-41). Years ago, I enjoyed a trip to Israel and saw both sites in person. But I don’t celebrate the empty tomb; I celebrate the Resurrection.

There’s a special blessing in that.

What Is Faith?


You’ve probably heard of Doubting Thomas. He was one of Jesus’ twelve disciples at The Last Supper, but he was missing when Jesus appeared to the group the night of His Resurrection (John 20:19).

Later the disciples reported, “We have seen Him!” But Thomas staunchly declared, “Unless I see His wounds and touch them myself, I will not believe.”

Eight days later Jesus appeared to the disciples again. This time Thomas was there and Jesus addressed him personally. “Thomas, reach out and touch my wounded hands and side. Believe!” Thomas answered, “My Lord and my God” (John 20:24-28).

As Jesus acknowledged Thomas’ faith, He also spoke a blessing upon believers of a different kind: “Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed” (John 20:29). That’s me. Is it you?

John said he wrote so “that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name” (John 20:31, KJV). Through faith I have hope of eternal life.

Celebration Unlimited


Easter eggs are fun, but the real JOY of EASTER is The Resurrection. It's something we can celebrate all year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.