Sunday, April 15, 2018

Helped by a Stranger


HELPED by a STRANGER


A friend of mine recently moved into a lovely retirement resort. I was delighted to be invited to her welcoming luncheon.

I did not know any of the other six ladies, but I enjoy meeting new people. I don’t recall what we were discussing when the lady next to me said, “Be anxious for nothing.” I responded, “Instead, pray about everything. I’ve learned the importance of that.”

No Hair


As I was brushing my hair this morning I was reminded of having a bald head back in 2007. After being diagnosed with breast cancer I had chemo, surgery, and radiation.

Chemo caused me to lose my hair. During the daytime I was comfortable tying a large cotton handkerchief around my head, knotted in back. My husband teased me about being his “motorcycle mama.” When out and about, I felt my bald had was quite covered up and not noticeable. I was wrong, but I was happy.

A Cold Head


It was summertime in Phoenix. Our little place had air conditioning, for which I was grateful; however, it was a problem at night. I slept with my head uncovered because the cotton headgear was uncomfortable. The AC gave me a cold head, even though I tried to cover my head with a sheet.

I thought, It’s summer in Phoenix. Surely some store will have knit beanies on a sale pile somewhere. I went to major department stores and sports equipment stores. When I asked for a knit beanie, not only did I get a negative answer but the sales clerks looked at me strangely.

I gave up and started to pray about it. My prayer was based on the scripture the lady mentioned at last week’s luncheon: Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God (Philippians 4:6).

An Unexpected Solution


One day I was in line at a pharmacy, waiting for my prescription. I noticed a lady observing me. She didn’t say anything, but as I left the pharmacy counter and shopped some other aisles I noticed her shadowing me.

Finally, she came up cautiously and said, “I hope you won’t be offended, but I belong to a group that knits caps for chemo patients. I have only one left. It’s lavender----would you like to have it?” 

WOULD I?

I waited while she went to her car. When she came back I tried to explain how thankful I was for her thoughtfulness. The beanie yarn was very soft and I slept soundly in it.

Many Thanks


Attached to the hat was a small card with the name and address of this caring group. I sent them a thank you note.

Of course, I also thanked God for hearing my prayer. I didn’t even know this group existed, but God knew I could be helped by a stranger.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.