Monday, December 11, 2017

Ring Those Bells

RING THOSE BELLS


It’s December and I’m hearing bells. Are you? Some of them are ringing in front of my favorite stores. They’re not loud. Just a soft reminder to be aware of others needs while I meet my own.

I heard another bell today. My husband and I have a friend who opened a thrift store to raise funds for charitable works.

A bells rings briefly each time someone enters the store. To me it was another soft and satisfying sound. I enjoyed seeing the looks on faces when told the entire store was having a half-price sale. Most of them were as surprised as I was.

Bargains for a Cause

Once a month, our friend hosts a Meet the Author day. When invited to choose a December date, I unknowingly chose the last day of a week-long sale. Everything was half price. I was delighted to find nearly a dozen books by my favorite fiction author. At twenty-five cents a book I couldn’t go wrong, no matter how long it takes me to read them.

From the author’s table I always looked up when I heard the bell ring. I enjoy people-watching, but it was fun to talk with them, too.

One lady who spent the most time shopping was laughing as she said, “I’ll have to take these into the house a few at a time. My husband will think I spent a lot of money.” A man standing nearby said, “Just tell him you bought something for him. He’ll be OK.”

No Seasonal Limit 

The bell rings on the door of this store all year long. Charitable works are always in progress and a spirit of peace and love prevails.

Our friend considers all of her hard work an act of faith. When I observed her commitment in action today I thought of James 2:17. That verse reminds us that faith is good, but we show our faith by our actions.

Another verse rings a bell with me. 1 John 3:18 says, “Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.” Saying we love is easy. Showing it is not. It generally means expending energy and moving out of our comfort zone to help someone.

Bells at Christmas remind us to put faith and love into action. Why not try to ring those bells all year long?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.