Sunday, October 22, 2017

What A Day!

WHAT A DAY!


It's easy to think we are in control until the jolt of something unexpected, like a trip to the emergency room. My husband began an unforeseen journey of hospital care and recovery on October 5, 2017. It ended with his release on October 21, 2017. What a day!

His life and mine are intertwined, thanks to marriage vows over fifty years ago. I've always enjoyed being the passenger while he's been the driver, but today we received a new challenge. One of his first discharge instructions was, "No driving." Two little words turned my world and his upside down. What a day!

I made many daily trips to the hospital because I wanted to meet his daytime and nighttime nursing teams. My hat is off to people who can work twelve hour shifts and remain pleasant. I also met the hospital doctors, cleaning personnel, meal delivery persons, physical and occupational therapists, chaplain and volunteers. My husband laughed when he told me, "I no sooner get to sleep than someone wakes me up to give a med or check my vital signs." What a night---what a day!

I had lots of text messages, voice mails and emails inquiring about my husband's progress. It was encouraging to know people were praying for his recovery and strength for me, too. I tried to respond to each message personally the first four days. It was overpowering, so I decided to send group updates as blind carbon copy emails. That left about four people who had to be reached by phone. We live in a marvelous day! 

Following surgery, my husband's progress was steady. On October 19, 2017 the hospital doctor felt he was ready for release. My husband was in good spirits and ready to go The nurse removed three sutured IV tubes in his neck, gave him the required flu shot and told me I could get him dressed to leave. That's what I was doing when I realized he had become stiff as a statue and totally unresponsive. I called the nurse; she called for help. Later a CT scan showed nothing. The next day neither did an MRI, but my husband had stroke-like weakness on his left side. What a day!

Now we're home. I appreciate my husband's concern for my health, but I'm the caregiver and will do what needs to be done. He certainly did that for me when I fought cancer in 2007 and beyond. We used to open our Sunday morning church service with a chorus based on Psalm 118:24. It said, "This is the day the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it." When my husband tried to change the opening song, people begged to keep it. Life is full of sunshine and shadow. This is the latter; what a day!

Music speaks to our hearts. There's another song we sing. It's based on Lamentations 3:21-24. Perhaps you know it. The message is that the steadfast love of the Lord never ceases and His mercies never come to an end. In fact, He is so great in His faithfulness that His mercies are new every morning. Every day has the potential to be a good day! We're counting on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.