Sunday, October 8, 2017

An Unexpected Greeting

AN UNEXPECTED GREETING


I knew my husband wasn't feeling well. In fact, I had suggested the emergency room the night before but he declined. I was fixing breakfast when he came out of the bedroom the next morning and said, "Take me to ER."

To make such a request, I knew he had to be hurting. I scurried around to get ready. We got his med bottles, plus his med list. I also packed a chart of all his medical appointments, tests, scans and labs for the past six months. I included a bottle of water and a few snacks for me, plus a Love Inspired novel I'd been reading. 

Welcome Back
ER registration went quickly since he had been there six months earlier. With basic information on hand, they moved to note symptoms. He didn't wait long for the emergency room.

After some tests, he was admitted to a small private room on the third floor. The hospital bed took up most of the space, but there was a nightstand in the corner and a padded metal chair. I was glad it had arms because that made it comfortable for reading.

Waiting, Waiting, Waiting
He was getting excellent care while I filled in the time. I read, took a walk, read, went to lunch, read, talked to my husband, read---hours went by.

When I tired of reading my novel, I put it down and observed people coming and going out in the hallway. Then I wondered if there was a Gideon Bible in the little three-drawer nightstand.

I was pleasantly surprised to find a New King James Version. I opened to the thirty-seventh Psalm. It's always been a favorite, but this time verse three caught my attention and wouldn't let go. I read it several times: Trust in the LORD, and do good; Dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness (Psalm 37:3).

Sustenance is More Than Food
The phrase that continually stood out to me was feed on His faithfulness. The scenario I shared with my husband was this: Feeding indicates food; Food indicates sustenance; Sustenance is necessary for life. I said, "I'm intrigued at the thought of God's faithfulness as sustenance for life. It's always available, but we have to choose it."

It's kind of like going to the grocery store. There are lots of good things there, but we select those we want. Items don't automatically jump into our cart without action on our part.

Comfort in the Psalms
My day started with an unexpected greeting, "Take me to ER." I needed this phrase in Psalms to calm my day. Breakfast had been cut short, but sustenance was still available in God's faithfulness.

Since feed is an action word, I kept the verse in my thoughts. I recalled previous times when God had proven His faithfulness. And I chose, once again, to believe God's faithfulness would sustain me. It's proven true for the last three days, and it's not over yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.