Sunday, September 17, 2017

Don't Give Up

DON'T GIVE UP


I enjoy my home office. It's easy to rest my eyes as I look out the window above my desk. Is it windy? All I have to do is look at the movement of the pine trees.


Will I see wildlife? That's always a special treat, except for the javelinas that seem to root around and travel in packs. It's much more fun to watch the birds peck the ground for food.


Relief Without a Window

Years ago, I worked in a large church as an administrative assistant. My office had been set up to suit me and I enjoyed it. I'd say the only thing missing was a window. But I could delight in lovely landscaping whenever I chose to step outside.

This church had a large staff with many offices. It was a busy place and I enjoyed it, because I like having plenty of things to do. But I still remember one day that had been particularly tiresome.

About four o'clock I took a break and walked over to talk with a secretary whose positive attitude and work ethic I had always admired. I surprised her with a question. "Do you have a scripture of encouragement for a very tiring day?"

She said, "I wasn't prepared for that. I'll have to think about it." We talked a little more and I went back to my work.

About twenty minutes later, she walked over to my office. "I've got it."

"Great," I said, "what is it?"

She quoted Galatians 6:9. "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."

That meant completing an assignment, no matter how challenging or how short the deadline. Our satisfying harvest would be the job completed and handed over to the person who needed it.

Recently I read another scripture that this lady fulfilled. Hebrews 10:24 says, "Let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds."


A Wider View

Office workers aren't the only ones who need encouragement. And spurring one another on in a positive manner need not always be verbal.

My parents used to encourage me toward good quarterly grades by promising monetary rewards for A's, B's and C's.

Little League teams seem to enjoy food rewards after a game. It's easy to see this spurring them on after expending all that energy.

Cards can be a great source of encouragement. So many choices---Get Well, Thinking of You, Sympathy for Your Loss, Happy Birthday, Thank You and more.

Not into snail mail? Send an encouraging e-mail. Or make a call to say, "Hi. I've been thinking of you and wanted to say thank you for . . . "

You Can Do It

Perhaps you're thinking I haven't even started to do good this way.

That's OK. I'm thinking don't give up. It's never too late to get started.

* * * 

NOTE: I have reduced the size of my photos to make it easier for cell phone readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.