Sunday, August 2, 2026

3 Spiritual-Life Essentials


While growing up, my family often vacationed out west.
We would go to church with a favorite Aunt and Uncle. As a youngster, I always found it interesting when the priest dismissed the service by saying, “Go out and live for Christ.”

Over the years, I often thought about that. Six little words, but what do they really mean? I’m sure we all have our own responses; however, what does Jesus expect?

This week, I paused in the Book of Luke as I noticed an answer to that question.

They were simple words with deep meaning, noteworthy because Jesus was speaking. He said, “If anyone wants to come after (follow) Me: (1) He must deny himself, and (2) take up his cross daily, and (3) follow Me” (Luke 9:23-24).

Let’s think about this:


(1)        What does it mean to “deny” himself, or herself? For one thing, it means turning from a self-focused life to decisively following the teachings of Jesus. It would mean “Thy will,” not “my will.”

 

(2)        What does it mean to “take up your cross?” It means accepting the fact that living for Jesus can mean mockery or rejection. Carrying a cross physically makes one noticeable, as does trying to live by Biblical principles in a sinful world. Jesus gives no promises of an easy life; however, He does promise never to leave us or forsake us (Hebrews 13:5-6).


          Did you notice that He said, "Take up your cross daily?" That's life! Every morning, we get up, clean up, and get dressed for the day. Yesterday's decisions are gone. Even The Lord's Prayer recognizes that life choices are daily: "Give us each day . . ." (Luke 11:3) 


(3)     What does it mean to "follow Jesus?" A true follower believes in someone enough to listen to their words, obey, and follow their example. Jesus said, "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments" (John 14:15). Question: (1) How many of Jesus' teachings do you know? (2) Are you feeding yourself daily from God's Word?            

There is nothing automatic about these three spiritual-life essentials. They're personal . . . your choice . . . each day!

Pixabay: List, Checkbox; OpenClipart-Vectors.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.