Sunday, January 14, 2024

Warnings and Rewards Redo


Oh, boy. I hit the wrong button and published an unfinished draft by mistake. I corrected my layout, but when I hit publish it said I could not update the time on an already-published article, so let's see if this will allow you to read the corrected version.

With the new year, I’ve started a new study. I’m focused on The Book of Psalms. I’ve read it many times, memorized verses, and even turned a couple of chapters into songs for easier memorization. Years ago, I enjoyed playing my autoharp and singing from a Psalter during private devotions.

The Bible is an amazing book. It has been revered, read, and applied to life by people from generation to generation. Can you imagine how many people besides you and me have noticed both warnings and rewards from Genesis to Revelation?

These two things are basic to life. Caring parents try to warn children to keep away from certain things or to avoid acting in certain ways. Children who choose to ignore those warnings usually learn some hard lessons. On the other hand, children who choose to listen up may find life more rewarding.

Psalm 19:7-11 shares this same principle along with some interesting descriptions of God’s Word:

                       Scripture is declared to be:

                        Perfect . . . reviving the soul

                        Trustworthy . . . making wise the simple

                        Right . . . bringing joy to the heart

                        Clear . . . giving insight for living

                        True . . . God's laws are fair

                        Do you see any personally desirable things there? 

                        I sure do.

How about two more warnings and rewards scriptures?

 When people do not accept divine guidance, they run wild.

But whoever obeys the law is joyful.

Proverbs 29:18 (NLT)

I have followed your commands,

which keep me from following cruel and evil people.

Psalm 17:4 (NLT)

By now the value of choices is clear, but here’s a clincher: Words alone will not discipline a servant; the words may be understood but they are not heeded. Proverbs 29:19 (NLT).

Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright 2013 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by Permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.  

Photo from Pixabay a few years back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.