Sunday, December 24, 2023

The Advent of Christmas: Week 4


This week we focus on LOVE.
Love is a great motivator, and one of the ways it shows up is in acts of giving. Who would argue with that idea at Christmastime? Let's look at LOVE shown in three different ways.

First, is God’s love. *John 3:16-19 (KJV) explains it in simple terms: God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. Love is more than a feeling; it’s shown by action - - - God loved - - - God gave.

The word whosoever is very important. Revelation 5:9 (KJV) speaks of a song sung around God’s throne in praise of people redeemed by the blood of the Lamb (Jesus Christ, John 1:29) from every kindred, tongue, people, and nation.

We once worked in a large church with a high-peaked entry. Above the doors, the pastor requested the placement of these words: Whosoever Will May Come . . . and come they did! I always said we had a “world-class church” because of the various ages, economic levels, and people groups that worshiped and served the Lord together. It was one of our favorite places of ministry.

Second, is Jesus’ love. In John 14:8-11(KJV), Philip said, “Show us the Father.” Jesus replied, “He that has seen me has seen the Father.” Jesus loved the Father and wanted to bring Him glory. In verse thirteen He said, “The Father is glorified in the works of the Son.”

If you are unfamiliar with the ministry of Jesus and His marvelous works, I would suggest you read the book of John. Of course, the first four books of the New Testament all shed light on the works of Jesus.

Third, is Our love. Jesus said, “If you love me, keep my commandments” (John 14:15, KJV). His commandments are easy to find, especially if you have a Bible with Jesus’ words in red. One of His commands is this: Love one another as I have loved you (John 15:12 KJV).

This week let’s light the candle of LOVE and rejoice that God’s love was an action, not just a feeling. May our responsive love be the same.

*All scriptures from The Authorized King James Version of the Bible (KJV), The World Publishing Company, Cleveland and New York, Copyright 1945.

Photo by Theo Crazzolara on Pixabay 

1 comment:

  1. I find it so EASY to say "I love you" to my husband but as I am becoming increasingly my husband's caregiver, I find that much more than words are required. So, I am still learning what real love is all about. Thank God for His perfect example and demonstration of love in His gift of His only son. Thankyou Darlis for reminding us of what we should KNOW by now!! Diane

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.