Sunday, July 16, 2023

A Wonderful Day


I’ll share with you what I shared with some longtime friends today.
It’s about a song my husband used to open Sunday morning services. Perhaps you know it: This is the day the Lord has made; I will rejoice and be glad in it.

The song was very upbeat and people even clapped their hands. After a few years, my husband tried opening with different songs, but people kept requesting “This Is the Day.”

This song has always been a favorite of mine. I associated it with Lamentations 3:22-26 which speaks of the Lord’s mercies being new every morning!  Tie this in with His compassions and faithfulness, also mentioned there, and how could you not have hope daily?

When I became a caregiver, first for my father, and later for my husband, my first morning thoughts were about God’s mercies, compassions, and faithfulness. Even before getting out of bed, I said a prayer:

Lord, thank you that Your mercies are new today.

They didn’t run out yesterday,

and I don’t have to use up any leftovers!

Thank You for Your faithfulness. Amen.

But today in Psalm 118, I saw a bigger picture. Verse 20-23 basically says: (1) the righteous enter the gate of the Lord through salvation, (2) Jesus, the capstone, though rejected by many, is marvelous in our eyes, so . . . we sing the verse that caps it off (verse 24): This is the day the LORD has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Now I have two reasons to enjoy that song. First, I rejoice because God’s mercies are new every morning, and second, I rejoice because of the wonderful day of salvation through Jesus Christ, His Son (John 3:16).

Here’s a prayer to thank God for a wonderful day. (Based on Psalm 118:8-9, 14, 28-29):

You, Lord, are my strength, song, and salvation.

I want to praise and exalt You by giving thanks.

Because You are good,

And Your love endures forever,

I choose to put my trust in You.

Because of You,

I have reason to rejoice and be glad. 

1 comment:

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.