Sunday, March 19, 2023

A Steadfast Love

A STEADFAST LOVE

In an ever-changing world, it’s nice to have some steadfast things. These things are firm, fixed, or settled and affect our thoughts, decisions, and relationships. Would you agree that reliable, trustworthy, and dependable love is the only kind worth having?

I’ve been focusing on The Book of Psalms. While reviewing chapter headings, I noticed that David often referred to God’s steadfast love. I wondered how many times does he mention that in the Psalms themselves?

When I read a Psalm, I mark it off in my Bible. Some chapters are very long, so I’m flexible, but I’m keeping a list of David’s descriptions of steadfast love.

I started this quest with Psalms 106 through 109. So far, I’ve read that God’s steadfast love:

Is good

Saves me

Is great

Endures forever

Does wondrous works

Is abundant

Relents against destruction

Hears cries of distress

I’m looking forward to learning more! David certainly has the right to speak about this. He loved and served God as a shepherd boy, a warrior, a leader, and a king even in old age.

He learned of God’s steadfast love when he sinned against Him by sleeping with Bathsheba, then tried to cover up the adultery by having her husband killed in battle. God didn’t let him get by with that. He sent a prophet to confront David.

David was wise enough to repent before God, and Psalm 51:10-11 (NKJV) is his famous prayer: Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence, and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.

Not only is God to be steadfast, we are, too. Psalm 51 is not long, but it’s packed with David’s deep desire for God. I encourage you to read it.  

Ask yourself some questions:  How steadfast am I in my faith? Am I living a life pleasing to God? When I’m convicted, do I repent of my sin?  

You can ask God for mercy. Rest assured, He will never despise a broken and contrite heart (Psalm 51:1, 17).

  

1 comment:

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.