Sunday, April 17, 2022

Good (For Us) Friday


Time changes things. Yes, I know prayer changes things, too, but by the time you read this, we will have celebrated Resurrection Sunday, commonly called Easter. Today I’d like to share thoughts about Good Friday. 

The small midwestern towns of my childhood offered Good Friday community services. Since my minister father always belonged to the local Ministerial Association, it was my privilege to grow up with an appreciation for all sincere believers in Christ.

Some churches are more formal than others, but Good Friday’s message is the same: Jesus’ betrayal, crucifixion, and burial. These are sad events, so why call them Good?  

Afternoon community services have given way to individual church services, many of them now in the evening. That’s true of my church---this year's topic: Jesus' Seven Last Words on the Cross.

I wanted a head start so I googled that phrase. First up, however, were the Seven Last Sayings of the Cross, drawn from all four Gospels.

Google them for yourself, and note the Seventh Saying: Into Your hands, I commit My spirit (Luke 23:46). Now count the words . . . seven!

I’m thinking this makes Friday good for Jesus, too.

Doesn’t it feel good to complete an assignment? John 19:30 records the Sixth Saying: “It is finished.” With that, Jesus bowed his head and gave up His spirit.

Earlier Jesus had said He had authority from His Father to lay down His life and take it up again; no one could take it from Him (John 10:17-18).

If you’re wondering where Jesus is today, Hebrews 10:12 says He offered for all time one sacrifice for sins, then sat down at the right hand of God.  

We would have no Resurrection Sunday to celebrate without the events of Good Friday. I do not enjoy thinking of the pain Jesus endured for us that day (John 19).

I am, however, grateful for Jesus' complete obedience to His Father, even unto death. Because of Him, John 3:16 became true for all of us: For God so loved the world that He gave His One and Only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.


 

 

WC: 357

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.