Sunday, April 18, 2021

Do You Need a Jump Start?


Have you ever been riding in a vehicle that suddenly died? Or, maybe a better question would be how many times have you been riding in a vehicle that suddenly lost power?

I’ve been in several, but the scariest moment was years ago when our motor home stalled on a railroad track. There wasn’t a lot of traffic at the time. Though we had jumper cables, we couldn’t wait on the tracks.

Desperate, my husband, though not a mechanic, pulled the dash and tinkered with something. I still say, “Thank God, that monster started up.” I’m amazed we never had further problems with it.

Jumper cables are a valuable item. My dad usually had a set in the trunk, as did my husband, but it’s not a man thing. Women can have them handy and know how to use them, too. Like my Goddaughters always say, “Just Google it.”

Sometimes our thoughts need a jump start. We can see the problem, and even know what to do, but we just sit there. We even jokingly give ourselves an out. “I’m here till the mood strikes or the spirit moves.”

This morning I saw, for the first time ever, a jump start in Psalms!

Psalm 100 is extremely short. Its five verses encourage us to be thankful and give praise to God.

I’ve never been a Thanksgiving Day-only kind of person. I enjoy being thankful year around.

We know negative thoughts drain our energy, while positive thoughts keep us powered up. But sometimes our gratitude battery just seems dead.

Don’t feel defeated if it’s one of those days when you’ve read the scripture but still feel unmotivated.

Look for the jump start at the end of Psalm 100.

There are three thoughts. Connect to them one at a time. Don't rush. Ask yourself, "How does this apply to me?"

The Lord is good

His mercy is everlasting

His truth endures to all generations  

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has found this jumpstart reliable. Give it a try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.