Sunday, March 14, 2021

Take It As-Is


One of my hobbies is shopping at thrift stores. As I look around my house, I’m amazed at what I have found over the years.

You’ve heard one man’s junk is another man’s treasure, but that’s not always the case. Sometimes even treasures are given away, though perhaps not intentionally.

My “treasure hunts” have taught me to look things over carefully. Glassware, for example, requires a light running of a finger around the edges to find tiny chips.

Even though I try to be exacting, the abundance of thrift store items can be exhausting. That’s why I’m always glad when someone has taken the time to write a note, in addition to the price.

Sometimes the note says “it works” - - - other times it says “as-is.”

As-is generally causes me to set the item down, however, I did make a recent exception. I chose to buy a beautifully molded angel labeled HOPE to set outside by a planter. The small hole in the back didn’t detract at all from the side I wanted to display.

While studying God’s love today, I made a couple of notes in my study guide: (1) God will take us “as-is” and make us new (whole) again, and (2) God’s unconditional love is not based on performance or fulfillment of any expectations. He loves you “as-is.”

The scripture that caught my attention was 2 Corinthians 5:17: If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

To be in Christ means an acceptance of Jesus as the Son of God, sent into this world to forgive our sins and reconcile us to God.

God is not put off by our “as-is” condition.” He doesn’t set us down and keep on looking for a perfect person. Instead, He lovingly says, “I see what you need. Come to Me; I’ll make something beautiful out of your life.”

I, for one, say, “Thank God for that!” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.