Sunday, October 25, 2020

She Lived to be 100!

As our pastor gave an open invitation to a memorial, my curiosity kicked in. I kept waiting for him to say the name, but he just said she had lived a little over one hundred years.

I decided to attend. It was my first opportunity to celebrate a centenarian. Yes, I know . . . a friend reminded me that people live way longer than that nowadays, but I’ve never met any of those either.

Her big, beautiful family, including great-grandchildren, impressed me. It reminded me of Proverbs 17:6: Grandchildren are the crowning glory of the aged; parents are the pride of their children (NLT). The memorial reflected their love for her.

During the slide show, I realized I knew this lady, though I had never met her. I had often observed her walking slowly toward the church, holding onto the arm of her daughter-in-law. She was obviously a senior, but I would never have guessed her to be one hundred.

I wasn’t the only one who noticed they parked far out. The pastor said, “One day I asked why they didn’t drive up closer and use our portico?” Their reply? “She wants to walk.”

Imagine the changes this lady lived through. From the end of the horse-and-buggy era into the space age, for one thing. And think of the changes from wall-mounted party-line telephones, to desk-top rotary-dial models, to current pocket-sized cell phones.

During World War II she took her place in a factory to help with the war effort. She lived through the Depression and several recessions. Is it any wonder this was the verse on the front of her memorial brochure? The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged (Deuteronomy 31:8).

One comment on her life stuck with me. While sharing the accomplishments of this Christian wife and mother, Pastor said, “There were many changes during her life, but one thing remained constant---her values.”

What a statement! 

I hope people will be able to say that of me. 

What about you?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.