Sunday, February 9, 2020

One Very Bad Hair Day


ONE VERY BAD HAIR DAY


I think most people have a bad hair day now and then. But in 2007 I experienced the worst hair day ever!

Hair Comes in Great Varieties
As I was brushing my hair, clumps fell into the sink. Chemo, surgery and radiation were my prescribed treatments for fighting breast cancer. Though I’d been warned of hair loss, my day of reckoning came after only two chemo treatments.

I looked in the bathroom mirror and saw no sparkle in my eyes, no bright smile, just an incredible amount of sadness.

A hand mirror helped me survey more damage. I called my husband and he came in. “Would you cut off the remaining patches of hair,” I asked, “why put off the inevitable?” It was a hard day for him, too, but he kindly gave me the help I needed.

To me, a wig on a bald head was uncomfortable. My head also felt cold when I tried to sleep, but it was summer in southern Arizona. Air conditioning was a necessity.

One thing I tried to avoid was looking in a mirror with my head uncovered. My favorite head gear was a square cotton scarf knotted behind my neck.

I found timely comfort in 1 Peter 3:3-4. It says beauty is not to come from outward adornment, but from your inner self.

The Book of Proverbs Is Full of  Wisdom
One inner beauty secret is discretion. On this issue, King Solomon was quite blunt: “Like a gold ring in a pig’s snout is a beautiful woman who shows no discretion” (Proverbs 11:22).

He wasn’t easy on men, either. Proverbs 25:28 says, “Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self-control.”

It was easy to smile when my hair grew back, but I still have a bad hair day now and then. The difference is my focus.

First, I look in the mirror and try my best outwardly. Then I turn away, and remember that true beauty comes from the inside.

Next Week: Knit Cap From A Stranger

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.