Sunday, January 12, 2020

Beware the Bitter Root


BEWARE THE BITTER ROOT


One day, out of curiosity, I asked mom, “What’s your favorite verse?”

Curiosity Creates Questions
Without hesitating she replied, “Great peace have they which love thy law; and nothing shall offend them” (Psalm 119:165 KJV).

She had been a minister's wife for many years, but this surprised me. “Why is that important to you, now, Mom? You haven’t worked with a congregation for several years.”

She just said, “It’s very important to me.” No further explanation was given and I respected her privacy.

You Don't Have to be an Owl to be Wise
Anyone who has worked with people knows there are plenty of opportunities to lose your peace by becoming offended. 

I haven’t met a perfect person yet. Neither have I nominated myself for that category!

If we think of life like a garden, we are constantly planting seeds of contentment or discontentment. Rarely, however, do we consider the relational roots of the seeds we plant.

There is some wisdom in Hebrews 12:15 that I think underscores mom’s verse. It says, “See to it that . . . no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many.”

Bitterness is not a very pleasant character trait and it never leads to peace. Bitter people often come across as angry, harsh or vindictive.

Like a taproot, bitterness can remain hidden yet affect everything which can be seen above it.

Roots Are Important to Life
Pull up a baby carrot with a thread-like root and you think that’s nothing. But left to grow, the root becomes stronger. 

Eventually you have to pull harder to get it out. Even then, you won’t enjoy the carrot until the dirt is removed.

Self-absorption is fertile soil for a toxic root of offense. That’s why I say, “Beware the bitter root.”

Awareness and forgiveness both go a long way toward producing a harvest of personal peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.