Sunday, October 21, 2018

Ashes of Burnout


ASHES of BURNOUT


You’ve heard where there’s smoke there’s fire, but nobody talks much about ashes. Fires bring a lot of action, from fire trucks racing down the street to curious onlookers watching firemen handle heavy equipment while dousing the flames.

Investigators will come and sift through the remains, but why bother when it’s too late to save anything? Ashes have proven to have answers and inquiring minds want to know how did this start? Could it have been prevented?

I was on fire for ministry in a large church for many years. I enjoyed my challenges as a leader and organizer of several departments. Like an enjoyable fireplace, my personal flames felt cozy and comforting to me.

They lowered from time to time but never actually went out, until one night at a women’s event.

While sitting by myself at a small table, feeling disconnected and isolated, I had a sudden thought. I’m going to the women’s restroom. I’ll see if anyone misses me.

Looking back on it now I can smile. But that night, when I was gone for nearly twenty minutes and no one came, it was not so funny. I went back to the event thinking so much for that idea. No one cares. But my feelings bothered me and I tried to analyze what was wrong.

Later I learned that resentment is a sign of burnout. It’s easy to get to that stage in our society. Sometimes it seems that people are valued more for what they do than who they are.

About a year later, my husband and I took a sabbatical. We were not involved in any kind of ministry or work. It was a very restorative time and not at all wasted. In fact, it created many happy memories with family and friends.

I sifted through my ashes and discovered what I considered important to help prevent burnout: REST.

You can’t have restoration without rest. Things being restored are generally out of service for a time. For people that could mean a fifteen-minute break or a power nap, a day off or a vacation---something to break the routine and bring about rejuvenation.

While dealing with the demands of life, even responsibilities we enjoy, it’s easy to forget that God has always considered rest important. He modeled it in Genesis 2:2 and commanded it in Exodus 20:8-11.

Forest fires are fought with fire breaks. We can get lost in our modern forest of busy-ness, but let’s be honest. When someone asks, “What are you doing,” isn’t “nothing” the last choice on your answer list?

Controlled fires do a lot of good. So how will you create your restorative break? Only YOU can prevent ashes of burnout.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.