Sunday, May 20, 2018

Blessed by a Peacemaker


BLESSED by a PEACEMAKER


It happened again today. A workman finished his work and sat down on our deck. “You have a great view,” he said. 

Every time I hear those words, I think of dad.

Over fifty years ago, dad moved our family to the Arizona desert. Back then you could get to the outskirts of Phoenix pretty quickly and dad loved doing breakfast in the desert. He’d pack us all in the car, along with the camp stove and supplies, and create some really fun memories.

The desert was fine, but dad also wanted a cabin in the pines. Knowing there was an affordable option in the Prescott area, he headed north to look around.

In Search of a Dream


Available lots were around the edge of a private campground and retreat center. The property was hilly and filled with huge boulders, but he picked a corner lot where two rough roads intersected.

The summer cabin he built was small, like all the others. I always thought the lot we enjoyed had been his first choice. But when I became his fulltime caregiver, I got the rest of the story.

One day I was remarking on the view when Dad said, “I really wanted a lot down closer to the center of the camp.” I said, “I never knew that.” He said, “I picked it out and thought it was settled, but then someone insisted they had picked it first.” I was intrigued at this new information.

“What did you do?” I asked.

“I explored lots farther away from the camp center. Not many people wanted to drive up the hills and build over boulders and gullies.” That explained our cabin, built over major boulders with a good view because of a gully.

Good Choice, Dad


I said, “I’m glad you let someone have their first choice down below. Nothing could be better than this view. But which lot was your first choice? Who got it?”

When he declined to say, I was rather disappointed. But then I thought I don’t need to know. All I need to do is enjoy the view. He kept his peacemaking decision private right to the grave.

The New Living Translation says, “God blesses those who work for peace . . ." (Matthew 5:9). During twenty-five years of ministry in Phoenix, dad and mom enjoyed lots of vacations and short trips to the cabin. Later it became their retirement home.

When my husband and I purchased the cabin as a vacation home, we agreed the folks could always live there. After mom and dad passed away, we decided to make it our retirement home.

Peace Just Keeps On Giving 


Dad was blessed for being a peacemaker, but his descendants were blessed, too. Isn’t that how life is? The decisions we make for good or bad affect not only us, but those around us now, and those yet to come.

Because I was blessed by a peacemaker, I’m often reminded to be one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.