Sunday, November 12, 2017

Why Wait to be Thankful?

WHY WAIT to be THANKFUL?


Fall is my favorite time of year. I live in northern Arizona where changing leaves turn mostly bright yellow. But as I drive the streets around town I see a few lovely reds here and there.

Growing up in eastern South Dakota meant not only changing colors on the trees, but piles of autumn leaves. The bonfires we enjoyed are a thing of the past, but I have one other lovely memory.

Dad used to go pheasant hunting with the men of our church. Fried pheasant was a real treat on our dinner table. I have not had that since we moved to Arizona in my teenage years, but I've never forgotten it.

In these first three paragraphs did you notice some things for which I am thankful? I'd say it was the Fall season, colorful leaves, growing up in South Dakota, fried pheasant and happy memories.


One Special Day

I'm thankful to live in a country which honors one special day of the year as Thanksgiving Day. That means different things to different people. Which of these phrases explain it best for you?

               1. A Day to Give Thanks
               2. A Day of Worship
               3. Festival of Plenty
               4. The Last Thursday in November
               5. Turkey Day
               6. A Holiday Preceding Black Friday
               7. Feasting with Family and Friends
               8. A Day for Parades and Football Games

Usually the day of worship is the Sunday preceding the last Thursday in November. I remember one Thanksgiving at our church in southern Arizona. We distributed special note cards to the congregation. The purpose was to encourage them to write a note of thanks to someone who made a difference in their life.

Now days people can easily send texts and emails to accomplish that meaningful project. I hope you will.


Let's Get Personal

Out of the above phrases, two explain Thanksgiving best for me. Number one says it's a day to give thanks. I enjoy this special day of thankfulness, but I try to maintain a thankful heart all year long.

Some meaningful guidelines are found in Psalm 100:4 (NIV). In giving thanks to God Almighty, we are to: (1) enter His gates with thanksgiving, (2) enter His courts with praise, (3) give thanks to Him, and (4) praise His name.

I don't always do this in a public setting. Sometimes it's just a personal time of quiet reflection.


Make a Memory

Number seven mentions feasting with family and friends. Over the years we have not always been able to celebrate Thanksgiving Day with family. That's when it became special to be invited to the home of friends.

On the other hand, there were years when we were the friends that invited others over to celebrate with us. And in one church where we pastored, teams of people worked hard to prepare Thanksgiving dinner for their church family and friends.

The last Thursday of November will soon come and go. Plan now to make it special, whether public or private. Happy Thanksgiving! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.