Sunday, August 20, 2017

Things I Learned in the Valley (Part 2)

THINGS I LEARNED in the VALLEY . . .  (Part 2)


I acknowledged the reality of my diagnosis and treatments. I realized I was not in control of any of them. The only things I could control were my thoughts, will and daily choices. I found that I could not think both negative and positive thoughts at the same time, so I chose positive. Proverbs 17:22 talks about a cheerful heart being like good medicine, so I was always on the lookout for good humor. I also began a new bedtime routine. Before going to sleep I would thank God for ten positive things that had happened that day, no matter how small. The simple, but calming, idea came from Psalm 100:4-5.

I prayed over each appointment, test and treatment. A friend sent a postcard of a painting by Nathan Greene called The Difficult Case. I found it so inspirational that I framed it and still have it in my office. It shows a doctor at his desk with books and papers in front of him. Christ is by his side with one hand on his shoulder, and the other hand pointing things out for the doctor's consideration. This painting and the scripture in 1 Peter 5:7 inspired me to pray: May whoever has anything to do with my case today see, speak and do only God's will for me. Jesus, You are my Great Physician and all my doctors and medical personnel are Your servants for my good. Amen.
 
I learned that God did not give me a free pass spiritually just because I was ill. He taught me things about His Word and about myself that I would never have learned otherwise. For example, The Lord's Prayer became even more meaningful as I prayed it thoughtfully most every morning (Matthew 6:9-13; 1 Chronicles 29:11-12). If I felt any check in my spirit, I took the Psalmist David's advice and asked God to show me what needed to be cleared up in my understanding, or cleaned out of my heart (Psalm 139:23-24).

Health may come and go, but spiritual life is eternal. God is real and HOPE in Him moves us forward from temporal to spiritual realities. It's great to hear, see, feel, taste and touch our world, but there's more. 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 explains this quite well. Even the smallest faith seed, once planted, can grow and provide HOPE from day to day (Matthew 17:20).

Medical professionals say each cancer case is different, though the type may be the same. My treatment was an individualized plan. If doctors can do such a great job individually, God can, too. I'm sharing what I learned so that you might be encouraged on your own personal journey (Romans 1:12). Should you choose to put your faith in God and His Word, it will not be in vain. Psalm 100:5 says three three things about God: 1) He is good, 2) His love endures forever, and 3) His faithfulness continues throughout all generations. That's why I have HOPE! And so can you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.