Sunday, May 16, 2021

Name Value


How long has it been since you bought a box of salt? I cut back on salt some time ago, so I was surprised to see a box of Morton’s Salt in my pantry.

The colorful container was marked “100th Birthday . . . She’s Still the One.” I was curious, so I checked online for the centennial date.

I couldn’t believe the year---2014! I usually toss outdated items, but this box was so colorful I decided to keep it. I have a feeling I had that same self-talk years earlier and that’s why it’s still around.

Companies work hard to build names we can trust. They make sure their product is consistent in quality. Food products also have to be consistent in taste. When you think of the amount produced for any one item, the challenge is enormous.

A good name is a valuable commodity. It’s true of people, as well as companies. In fact, Proverbs 22:1 says, “A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold.”

Most people are not born into wealth; they have to work for it. Riches in any great measure usually require time and honest effort.

Shortcuts like the one Bernie Madoff thought he had perfected, resulted in many negative consequences for himself, his family, and the people who had trusted him with their money.

Rich name value can be gained through positive character traits. Things like doing what you say you will do . . . making good choices . . . having concern for others . . . and speaking the truth.

Isn’t it a relief to deal with someone who can be trusted? You know their word is their bond. Their name has value---it’s their brand.

If nothing else, remember this about your name: Its value is not in the letters . . . it’s in the living.

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.