Sunday, May 9, 2021

Mileage and Maintenance

 


I finally did it . . . took my new car in for maintenance. I received regular emails from the dealership saying I should make an appointment for service.

My car is only 9 months old and I’m a low-mileage driver. Everything I need is close by. Even in a few years, my car should fit the joke category of “low mileage . . . driven by a little old lady from Pasadena.”  

Those unwanted emails were a reminder that maintenance depended on me. Making the appointment was easy, and after I followed through it was done; I felt at peace.

Now I even have a sticker on the window. No more email notices for me!  I’m free to be---on my own!

On my drive back home, I thought spiritual maintenance also requires effort. The Apostle Paul advised believers to test themselves to be sure they were in the faith (2 Corinthians 13:5 NIV).

When I take my car to a certified mechanic, he runs tests on sophisticated equipment. It gives him confidence that repairs will be correct. No need to guess what’s wrong.

Eugene Peterson explains spiritual testing like this: Every part of Scripture is God-breathed and useful one way or another---showing us the truth, exposing our rebellion, correcting our mistakes, and training us to live God’s way. Through the Word, we are put together and shaped up for the tasks God has for us (2 Timothy 3:16-17 NIV; The MSG, page 2172, paragraph 2).

We all require Godly maintenance. Whether we’ve been a believer for years or days, we all have spiritual mileage. On-going maintenance is important.

If you don’t already have a plan, check in with God's Service Department by reading a chapter a day in Proverbs. It’s a good way to start.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.