Sunday, June 25, 2017

Birds of a Feather

BIRDS OF A FEATHER


Birds of a feather flock together may be a truer saying than we humans want to admit. People are into their independence these days, and it's harder to gather a flock.

Calling for a meeting does not guarantee a "meeting of the minds." Lack of unity may show up when people meet to:


  • discuss an issue and propose a solution
  • compare viewpoints, then vote to follow through on a plan, or
  • agree to disagree and table the discussion until later
Outdoors, we often see birds flocking together in "V" formation. Sometimes they are flying north, sometimes south, but they are unified in goal and purpose. Simply put, they are following their leader, but there is a deeper dynamic.

There is no drag as they fly through the sky together. Each bird contributes to the power of the group's aerodynamics. On the ground, they hunt individually for food. Taking care of themselves at that point is good for the flock later on. As King Solomon might say, "There is a time to be separate and a time to come together."

LET'S GET TOGETHER
A meeting can be two or more people. I remember a particular Sunday night meeting in a small church. My husband and I, plus one other singer, had rehearsed carefully to present a patriotic musical. We had also put time into arranging slides to illustrate the songs. They were shown on a large rear projection screen.

In spite of community and church advertising, one person showed up, in addition to the other musician's husband. So, what did we do? A meeting had been called so, in spite of low response, we followed through on what had been promised.

That was a special event, but there's some good advice for regular meetings as a congregation or in small groups. Hebrews 10:25 says we are not to be "giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing." I find it interesting that when I miss a meeting, someone will say, "Were you there? I was looking for you." 

Have you ever stopped to consider how your presence is an encouragement even if you don't say a word? Consider also the impact of group singing. Whether it's in a choir, a congregation, or a worship team, it's an assembling of ourselves together in a common bond.

It's interesting that scripture never says how many people are required for a meeting. Have you ever been encouraged in a small group of two? How about a group of ten? Fifty? A thousand?

I've been in churches big and small. In each setting, we were flying in formation toward a common goal. Unity was the wind beneath our wings whether in worship, prayer, study of the Word, world missions or community service.

Birds of a feather flock together is a common saying, but for people it's not just happenstance. Purposely choose your flock and get behind the leader. Then assist the dynamics by doing your part to help arrive at common goals.  

1 comment:

  1. Many of your stories come at times that are no coincidence. Today's was just on time! I found myself dragging my feet for some reason this morning, not really wanting to go to church. I think it's probably because a nostalgic recent trip to my old church made me very aware that I'm not a key member here. The many Sundays that I'm travelling make it harder to really connect. And yet... my part may be much smaller than in the past, but it's still needful. Thank you for reminding me that even on those days I feel invisible, my wings are still helping the flock.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you took the time to comment. It's nice to have that connection.